Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Rafael Benítez new Chelsea victim?


Rafael Benítez has become the first high-profile candidate to declare an interest in the vacant Chelsea manager's position and suggested he would be forgiven by Liverpool supporters if he were to return to the Premier League at Stamford Bridge.
The Chelsea hierarchy are scrutinising their options after dismissing André Villas-Boas on Sunday a little over eight months into a three-year contract, with the London club fifth in the Premier League and risking a failure to qualify for the Champions League for the first time under Roman Abramovich's stewardship. The owner is to sound out Barcelona's Pep Guardiola, whom he regards as his ideal appointment, and José Mourinho at Real Madrid to ascertain if either would be willing to take over in the summer.



"If they want me to have the best, they can say you can manage a team at the bottom of the table or manage a team at a top of the table and try to win trophies. That is my idea, to have the option of a top side and try to win trophies. If they love me, they will understand.
"I have had two or three offers from clubs and one from a national team. I want to win trophies; it's not just a case of wanting a job and having some money. It has to be something. They have now Roberto Di Matteo in [temporary] charge, and I have to respect the manager in charge. I have to wait and [see] if something happens in the future. As a manager with experience in the Champions League, in Spain and in Italy, I am open to offers."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger templates